Monday, September 04, 2006

Reading

A couple days ago, I was reading Firestarter by Stephen King at outside time. One of my teachers told me that it was a school rule that you couldn't read at recess. I was amazed. Recess is for kids to have fun. It's the one time of the day where most kids can have fun. I have fun at school, but I'd rather not spend my break time running around in circles. I'd rather do something intellectual, like read or write. The next day I brought in my book again, thinking I could slip by and read again. This worked for 5 minutes until my other teacher came over, literally pulled the book out of my hands, and told me to go play. I spent the next 20 minutes sitting next to a tree in the forest because I was bored. The next thing that happened was a kid coming that a teacher sent over to tell me that I should be doing something rather than sitting with the trees. I responded by saying that I could be doing something if I was reading. This whole thing is just stupid.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like your a "Chip off the old block", seems like your Dad had some of the same thoughts when he was a young man (KID!).

From some one who "heard those thoughts from the Block him self".

Wish I could write half as well as your Mom & Dad. I could really put some old stories on your Blog site.

September 05, 2006 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jake,

I have two similar stories to share with you. When I was in 1st grade, my teacher asked us to draw a picture of something that we wanted to have. This was 1970, during the Vietnam war. I decided that I wanted world peace and drew a picture of a sit-in at the White House, protesting the war. I got into trouble and had to sit on a stool in the front of the class and wear a dunce cap! My teacher said that I did not know how to follow directions. I just wanted peace.

The other story is that I almost got expelled from summer camp for secretly reading the Chronicles of Narnia, between fourth and fifth grade. I had hid a flashlight in my sleeping bag and had smuggled in these books, despite the fact that all of the campers had to go to sleep after "lights out," and were not allowed to read.

Looking back on these two events, I got into trouble because I did not follow the rules, which IS a good thing to do. But, with my perspective from adulthood, I did do the right thing.

Don't worry. Stay interested. Keep an open mind. Be patient. Play by the rules. You are probably smarter than them, but don't let them know. . .just yet!

Chloe, Hank, and Timo's Dad

September 05, 2006 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I remember, your G'pa had the same problem, too. Back then, it took a lot of strength to lift the mallet we used to carve letters on the stone tablets, so the teachers were only trying to exercise my body to prepare me. Wish I'd been strong and wiry like you.

September 06, 2006 6:23 AM  
Blogger Chris Dubey said...

That school rule is absolutely ridiculous. If I were you, I'd tell Mom and Dad, and have them protest it with the administration. That is absolutely ridiculous.

September 06, 2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Hey, I can't believe that man. I would have done the same thing. I would go to the principle and
explain. Some kids just feel that outside things are boring. No wonder kids don't read today...
Anyway....love your blog. You seem like a smart kid. Hey could you maybe help me? I'm trying to set up this blog where people can donate to my mission trip. Visit my blog and leave a post.

November 01, 2006 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com